Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Making a 1950's Party Dress

I was invited to a 40th Birthday Party, the theme was 'Grease' - the movie.  I decided to make a general 1950's dress, not an outfit that directly comes from the film, because I wanted to create something that I would have the opportunity to wear again. 

Last year I came across Sense & Sensibility Patterns on the net.  I am not an experienced sewer, but they had a pattern that even a beginner could give a go. So I dived in and purchased the pattern and then a pink fabric with white polka dots, and gave it ago.  

Overall I found the pattern a little bit of a challenge because I've never ever constructed pleats, but with the help of a few tutorials on YouTube, I was on my way to completing my first ever dress. 

Overall I was happy with the result, but next time I wont make the sash, I found it kept bunching up and moving. Other than that the dress was perfect for what I wanted.  


Sense & Sensibility Pattern


The finished dress


1 comment:

  1. Hello Becky!
    How are you travelling? Can you believe we're on the cusp of December?
    I thought you might like to know that I am hosting Reverb again this year. It'd be a privilege to have you join us.
    Everything you need to know can be found at: http://www.katmcnally.com/p/reverb13.html
    We kick off on Sunday and it is going to be AMAZING. Hope to see you there!
    Kat xxx
    PS You look gorgeous in your beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete