Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Market to Market


Over the last week I have visited two new Melbourne markets.

Saturday morning my 9 year old son and I went to Fitzroy to visit the new 'Blackbird Market' located at 'The Workers Club', near 'Meet Me At Mikes'. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I didn't expect a bouncer / security guard at the front door. Then of course I clicked, The Workers Club is a pub. The guard looked directly at my son, but still let us in. Phew! Inside was assortment of small stalls that were selling a range of op-shop clothes, vintage clothes, jewelry, bags, badges, belts and so on. There was even tarot card reading, which my son took a great interest in.

The customers from what I could see were mostly young uni / alternative style people, I felt old there. :-) It was amusing to see people ordering beers at the market. Overall cool market but I noticed two things, firstly my son was the only child in the building that I could see and secondly it was extremely squashy. Check out more details about their next market in February at their web site.


Last night I visited Borders in Carlton for their first craft market. There were a total of 10 small tables scattered around. I must admit, it was really odd seeing a market inside a Borders stall, but I soon got used to it. Once again the creative talent was inspiring. It was also excellent to catch up with the gals from Konstant Kaos, Mrs. Beckinsale and Finki. Other stall holders were
First Morning Textiles, Cat MacInnes, CSerpent Art, Betty & Hamish, Our Sweet William, Found n Bound, and Made By Sarah. Overall the market was cute, but I feel it should have been out in the foyer more, so it could also get the film crowd as well. It will be interesting to see if Borders hold this event again.

Where Craft Meets 3053 Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment