Recently I received 3kg of oranges. So what to make, I know an orange tart.
1 Quantity sweet pastry
1 tbs granulated sugar
200g plain flour
pinch of salt
70g unsalted butter
80g caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1-2 drops of vanilla extract or essence
1. In bowl, sift flour and salt. Cut butter into cubes and rub into flour, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in sugar. Make well in center of flour, pour in combined egg and vanilla. Mix with palette knife. Make into a dough.
3. Gather dough into a ball and flatten it slightly. Wrap in plastic and store in fridge for 20 min.
200g unsalted butter
finely grated rind of 1/2 orange
300g caster sugar
6 eggs yolks
140ml orange juice.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F/Gas 4)
2. Grease tart tin 22cm across the base with butter. Roll out pastry and line the tart tin.
3. Bake pastry blind for 10min until firm. Remove beans and paper and return to oven for 15min.
4. Orange filling - Melt butter and orange rind, remove from heat. Sift sugar into bowl, and eggs and egg yolks. Sift in cornflour and mix well, then add orange juice. Pour egg mixture into the
saucepan with butter and the orange rind and place over med. heat. Stir constantly, bring to the boil. Remove from heat and pour into the shallow dish. Cover the surface with baking paper and refrigerate until cold.
5. Preheat grill, beat the orange filling and spread in the pastry shell. Smooth the top. Sprinkle sugar over mixture and place under grill to caramelize. Cool, the chill in fridge.
It was great to eat with whipped cream and the taste of the orange was stronger the next day. To view other creative places, click here.